Fast Track To Play With Scala
Full day courses are catered.
This course introduces experienced web-developers to the design-patterns and methodology essential to building reactive, scalable web applications with Play Framework and Scala. In practical coding exercises you will learn how to build multiple Play applications which interact with one another via HTTP REST endpoints.
After having participated in this course you should:
- Know how to build fully fledged web applications using Play
- Know best practices for developing web applications using Play
- Be confident to start using Scala and Play applications in production
Application developers wishing to learn Play with Scala
Students taking this course should have:
- Basic knowledge of Scala
- No previous knowledge with Play is required
Bring your own hardware
Students are required to bring their own laptops for this course.
To complete the exercises in this course, students need to install the following before class:
- What is Play?
- Why should I use it?
- Play Basics
- Anatomy of Play
- Overview of Play components
- Build system
- HTTP body parser
- Handling form data
- Testing ecosystem
- Writing integration tests
- Managing assets
- Manage static assets with sbt-web
- Auto-generate CSS and JS files from Less, CoffeeScript, etc.
- Asset fingerprinting
- Session handling
- Add and remove values from the session
- Authentication helper
- Web services and JSON
- Send and retrieve HTTP requests
- Handling JSON
- Asynchronous Programming
- Overview Futures
- Future composition
- Asynchronous end-to-end applications